One important task of teens is learning practical life skills, critical for personal and professional success. Research indicates that life skills intelligence is as important as a teen’s intelligence quotient (IQ) and emotional intelligence. Teens depend on effective life skills every day. With these skills they create a successful quality of life as they grow their inner resources.
Effective practical life skills help teens take charge and manage their lives in an increasingly complex society. Life skills can help them manage change and work effectively with their environments, their peers and other adults. The purpose of this workbook is to help teens develop the critical life skills that will assist them in meeting the demands of everyday life in a safe, mature and responsible manner.
The most important reason life skills intelligence is of such high importance is that, unlike the knowledge measured by traditional IQ tests, life skills can be learned and refined so that one can lead a successful, satisfying and productive life. A person’s life skills IQ is a composite of many other types of intelligence:
- Physical Intelligence
- Mental Intelligence
- Job, Volunteer and School Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence
- Social Intelligence
- Spiritual Intelligence
The Teen Practical Life Skills Workbook contains five separate sections to help participants learn more about themselves and the competencies they possess in many life skills areas.
Participants will learn about the importance of life skills in their daily lives. They will complete assessments and activities to keep them become better managers of life and to assist their development of greater life skills.
The sections of this book are:
- Problem-solving scale helps teens understand how they attempt to solve problems, and provides instruction to improve their problem-solving skills.
- Money management style scale helps teens to identify their style in managing money, and provides instruction for capable money management.
- Time management skills scale helps teens identify how efficient they are at managing their time, and provides instruction for better time management.
- Self-awareness scale helps teens identify their level of self-awareness related to their emotions, self-confidence and self-assessment.
- Personal change scale helps teens identify the changes they are experiencing in their lives, and provides instruction for managing change.
By combining reflective assessment and journaling, participants will be exposed to a powerful method of verbalizing and writing to reflect on and solve problems. Participants will become more aware of the strength and areas for growth and improvements of their daily life skills.
This workbook is also available in PDF eBook format, making it simple to store on your computer or mobile device, and to access with a PDF viewer. The PDF format also allows you to easily print copies of the activities and worksheets during therapy and counseling sessions.
Teen Practical Life Skills Card Deck
Need a creative way to start your session? Use the Teen Practical Life Skills Card Deck. The open-ended questions will break the ice and stimulate conversation. Use them alone or in conjunction with the corresponding page in the book.
When you have a problem, how do you react? Do you stick with it until you find a solution or do you try to forget about it and hope it goes away? Tell us about it.
What would you like to buy, but can’t afford? What is a plan you can make to earn money to buy it?
What are your dreams for the future?