Communication Skills Worksheets, Self-Assessments, Exercises, and Educational Handouts
Interpersonal communication is the process of sending and receiving messages with another person. This process sounds and appears to be easy. However, in reality, communication involves a very complex set of skills, as complex as those necessary for driving a car or reading a map. Part of the reason for this complexity is that messages can be communicated and received in a variety of ways, e.g. listening, speaking, signing, touch, eye contact. People need adequate communication skills in order to survive and thrive in our challenging society. Effective communication skills are critical in many walks of life including:
• Developing and maintaining friendships
• Participating in the community
• Being effective in educational settings
• Parenting successfully
• Finding a job
• Succeeding in the workplace
• Maintaining intimate relationships
Each section of the book uses self-assessments, communication skills worksheets, activities, journaling and educational handouts to explore:
• Active listening helps individuals determine how effectively they listen when communicating.
• Nonverbal communication helps individuals examine how their body language is affecting their interpersonal communications
• Communication skills helps individuals measure how effective they are at using communication shills to initiate, build, and maintain interpersonal relationships.
• Social Radar helps individuals explore how attuned they are to verbal and nonverbal cues.
• Negotiation skills helps individuals explore how well they negotiate to get what they want without manipulating or alienating other people.
Sections begin with a self-assessment that is easy to administer, score, and interpret. Follow-up activities, journaling, communication skills worksheets, and educational handouts—all reproducible—help individuals discover their habitual, ineffective methods of communicating with others and explore new ways for enhancing interpersonal communications.
This workbook is also available in PDF eBook format, making it simple to store on your computer or mobile device, and to access with a PDF viewer. The PDF format also allows you to easily print copies of the activities and worksheets during therapy and counseling sessions.
Communication Skills Card Deck
Need a creative way to start your session? Use the Communication Skills Card Deck. The open-ended questions will break the ice and stimulate conversation. Use them alone or in conjunction with the corresponding page in the book.