Everyone has moments where we feel as though life is throwing too much at us. We can’t control what happens to you, but we can control how we each respond to it. By understanding how to spend your time and energy, you can help yourself when you feel overloaded. Understanding how to prioritize yourself is a great stress-reducing tool. These are called Personal Management Skills. They are useful when you:
- feel as though you spend too much time on things that aren’t important,
- feel out-of-step with yourself,
- feel you have too much to do and no time to get it done, and
- you don‘t really understand what you want from the future.
There are five facets to Personal Management Skills. The first are Valuing Skills, which help determine what’s important. Second are Planning Skills, which turns your values into a road map. Commitment Skills help put those plans into actions. Fourth are Time-Use Skills, which help you trim out your time wasters, and last are Pacing Skills, which help you to keep on course and not fizzle out halfway through.
- Do you feel as though you need management skills, or do you feel like you’re already organized?
- Does it seem as though you need help on one facet in particular?